Sunday, August 3, 2008

Film, Digital, and natural light..



Titania...Digital but going back to natural light. I should have had a reflector here to fill in her front a bit more, but next time





The magical MME PYCHOSIS She allowed me to do her injustice with my camera when I first got it. I miss her. Need to go to NYC and see/shoot her again :D Of course, everyone who has ever shot her says the same thing...she leaves one feeling that they need to work with her as many times as possible to capture her intelligence and ephemeral energy. I am happy to know her.



SIN ake Rachel, need to shoot her again...this was in a dark basement, natural light if lightbulbs count...they do to me obviously....Needed a bit more light here, or a tripod. I kind of don't like tripods, but they are necessary for some work I do. For my macros, I can manage with a monopod....



Private Commision. This girl was a trip. She really helped me jump by photographing her, was a natural model, but unfortunately too high maintenance with mysterious vices that I cannot partake of for me to continue our relationship. She did buy this print though, and while it is digital, I feel that it has filmic qualities....(not to mention a filter that imitates film grain)...and have had several people ask me if it is film...no, it is not.


THIS IS FILM circa 1991 When I was in art school...has that great photo 1 black and white uber contrasty style, but I like it....a lot. We were waiting in line in the Sisters of Mercy concert....those are old friends of mine...Matt Massana and Adrienne...who was cool but crazy....they were fun as hell though, as was Danielle Dax and the Sisters. I had a tour t-shirt I kept forever until like so much of my stuff, it disappeared into the whirlpool of chaos I experienced in 1996-2000. The print was safely at my parents place, so like so much of my original film photography, I found it. I need to find the negatives. I did a lot of color negs, and damn, it took 8 hours and a million test strips to get the color even half assed right.

Even though I love photoshop and digital, and will continue to use it as a medium, I am really missing doing just black and white film camera stuff. Hotlights, no strobes, natural light, etc. Maybe even colour, but I don't know anyone who could do infrared and cross processed procedures with me. I really love polaroid and large format and alternative process and 4 x 5 collage....alas, I don't have the money or time or know the right people to do it full time. However, a pentax K100 and some tri x 400 might be a good place to start.....

1 comment:

Dave Levingston said...

Re: Shooting in dark places without using a tripod. Maybe you should look into getting a VR (Nikon) or IS (Canon) lens. Since I got my 18-200 Nikkor VR lens I've stopped carrying a tripod when I go out in the woods/mountains/desert to shoot. It makes my pack lighter and the lens gives me all the stability I need when the light gets low.